Orange Amps UK Release Date and Price For OPC Computer Amp Combo Craziness
Well, this must have been what was happening in the minds of the tech-heads over at Orange Amplifiers, the British based makers of colourful noise making gear, which lead them to come up with their all-in-one computer amplifier speaker thingy â€“ The OPC.
You may have noticed that the OPC is more than a computer, it has been designed “to deliver playing, recording, editing and computing capabilities to musicians and music aficionados”.
The specs include a 24 Bit Audio Interface with both guitar and microphone inputs, 15 watt RMS per channel stereo amplifier (into 4 ohms) with 2 band EQ, direct stereo line to the internal amplifier allows the OPC to be used as an amplifier and speaker for any playback device – from iPods to Microphones.
The output hits your ears thanks to a pair of JBL 6.5â€ 55 Watt RMS Dual Concentric Speakers.
The computer side of things runs along on Windows 7 (64 bit) using an Intel Pentium Processor E5400 (2M Cache, 2.70 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) and 4GB dual-channel DDR2 800 (PC6400).
You also get over Â£700 of “free premium handpicked digital recording music software”. I have been assured that these aren’t just demos or trialware – these are all the full versions.
Each OPC will come with:
- Presonus Studio Orange Custom Edition ( Professional level recording software offering powerful user friendly music creation and production application for artists of all levels)
- Acoustica Mixcraft â€“ Full Version ( Easy to use multi-track studio software to record audio, arrange loops, remix tracks, compose with virtual instruments, score and edit video, and add effects to create stunningly professional compositions.)
- IK Multimedia Amplitube 3 ( Full Version of this leading guitar and bass tone gear modelling software. Over 160 ultra-accurately modelled sounds including brand new Custom Orange Amp models. Plug in your guitar; choose your sound and your away! )
- Toontracks â€“ EZ Drummer Lite ( market leading multi-sampled acoustic drum-kit library to create great drums track in just a few clicks )
- Licklibrary – Guitar Tuition Software (Exclusive to OPC, selection of free guitar lessons from one of the worldâ€™s largest guitar education brands delivered through a Licklibrary media player )
Graphics are handled by NVIDIA’s GeForceÂ® 9300 and with the HDMI/VGA/DVI-I will allow you to hook-up 3 monitors at the same time if you’re into that kinda thing. Being a music puter you also get onboard 5.1-channel high-definition audio (via 3 stereo mini-jacks) and Optical * Coaxial S/PDIF outputs.
There’s 7 USB 2.0 ports and 1 eSATA port for adding extra storage and devices. There’s a top loading DVDÂ±RW DL and its wirelessness comes courtesy of built-in Wi-Fi (802.11g) – it even has a rubbery aerial on top!
I reckon it should be a decent compact studio/computer/practice amp but have yet to try it out so can’t comment too much.
Initially the OPC will be sold direct from Orange UK, Orange USA or from the Orange Website and will be available August 2010. Oranges Global Distribution network will expand later this year into general computer stores.
The OPC will be priced at Â£1199 (inc vat) – I may wait to see if they produce a bass version 😉