Netgear launches Nighthawk S8000 switch at CES 2017
Netgear’s Nighthawk router range is already well established, especially amongst gamers and streamers. The company has now announced a versatile, high performance, easily configurable, Layer 2 switch for expert gaming and HD media streaming – The Nighthawk S8000.
The Nighthawk S8000 8-port Gaming and Media Switch (GS808E) is a great looking and powerful switch. This will certainly be an ideal addition to your network to hook up your Playstation, Xbox, Wii, PC and anything else.
Nighthawk S8000 features
The Nighthawk S8000 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch extends the speed and performance of the Netgear Nighthawk family of WiFi routers, already the fastest on the market.
It provides your wired devices with ultra-smooth gaming and streaming. This means that you can host a multi-user gaming party, stream HD content from the internet or your own local storage — without competing for bandwidth on your wireless network.
Each Gigabit Ethernet port on the Nighthawk S8000 Switch can be configured differently. This hands you complete versatility. These settings can be defined and saved on the switch, and accessed from the web-based GUI.
Pre-configured settings automatically configure ports for gaming, media streaming, or as a standard LAN port for seamless surfing, VoIP or video calls.
In addition, link aggregation (LAG), or “port trunking”, means you can use multiple ports to create an aggregated connection of up to 4Gbps concurrently to any other link aggregation-capable device. This is great news for NAS users like me!
Key features and benefits of the Nighthawk S8000 switch
The Nighthawk S8000 Gigabit Ethernet Switch seamlessly integrates with any Nighthawk router and includes the full set of Netgear Web Managed (Plus) Switch software features. Some of its key attributes include:
- Sleek, durable, “cool-touch” premium zinc alloy housing design with soft-touch no-slip base
- Easy, one-click optimised configuration presets for gaming, media streaming, or standard networking, plus two user-defined configurations
- Port-based and 802.1p/DSCP-based QoS (Quality of Service) for 4 levels of network traffic prioritisation
- Auto “denial-of-service” (DoS) prevention
- IGMP snooping support for multicast optimisation
- Loop detection and broadcast storm controls
- Rate limiting and priority queuing for better bandwidth allocation
- Port trunking/link aggregation (LAG) enables increased throughput beyond 1Gbps [up to 4Gbps] or to provide redundancy across the link(s)
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 pricing and availability
The NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 8-port Gaming and Media Switch (GS808E) will be available in March 2017.
We’re are awaiting news of UK pricing.