It was, in fact, the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Rooms which had appeared for one day only to launch SE’s PlayStation branded Android blower.
There were plenty of Xperia PLAYs to fondle and it was quite surreal to be playing the Bruce Lee fighting game amidst a fluorescent blue forest, burnt out helicopter, American muscle car and a Shanghai street bar.
Tinchy Stryder perfomed a pretty decent set although his DJ, Spiro, dropped a bit of a clanger when he announced that the party was here for Sony Nokia Ericsson….. but I think he believed he recovered well 😉
â€œIâ€™m a big gamer so itâ€™s great to be involved with the launch of Xperia PLAY. I spend a lot of my time on the road, so to have a mobile with a PlayStation gaming pad is cool.â€
â€œI got to launch an awesome gaming phone and hang out with Tinchy, although he needs to learn to be a little bit less competitive when it comes to playing games.â€
Sony Ericsson has formed partnerships with over 20 developers from big publishers to independents, from middleware providers Havok and Unity to engaging Android developers, to ensure a steady flow of new titles for Xperia PLAY. Some of the highlights include:
- Assassins Creed Altairâ€™s Chronicles HD – One of the most popular gaming franchises, with action, puzzles and stealth gameplay set in the Middle East of the Crusades
- Need for Speed – Grab the wheel of the fastest, hottest, and most powerful cars in the world. One of the most successful video game franchises of all times.
- Tom Clancyâ€™s Splinter Cell â€“ The latest instalment in this key franchise. Special Forces operative and renegade Sam Fisher returns to fight a corrupt secret agency.
- Dungeon Defenders Second Wave â€“ Stunning graphics, intense gameplay and exclusive on Xperia PLAY.
- Gun Bros â€“ Choose your weapon and join the â€˜Freakishly Ruggedâ€™ action heroes Percy and Francis Gun as they take on a terrifying menagerie of alien beings.
- Galaxy on Fire 2 â€“ Escape into space with hours of deep gameplay and mind blowing graphics in this space exploration game.
- Guns â€˜nâ€™ Glory â€“ You lead a gang of bandits in this popular and award-winning casual tower defence game with a hilarious western theme.
- Worms â€“ Send your worm platoons into battle in this award-winning turn-based strategy game.
- Zenonia 2 – The lost memories â€“ Classic and popular RPG. Numerous quests following an epic storyline.
- Backstab – An epic 3rd person pirate adventure that incorporates intense sword fights and other dynamic combat modes. Launching on April 14thexclusively on Xperia PLAY.
- N.O.V.A.2 – Awesome graphics and intense multiplayer gameplay. This First-Person Shooter makes its Android debut exclusively on Xperia PLAY.
In addition Sony Ericsson confirms that Asphalt 6 â€“ the latest instalment of one of the leading and top-selling racing games will be available for free exclusively on Xperia PLAY.
The games are downloadable via the Xperia PLAY launcher, an application that is activated by sliding open the gamepad. The Xperia PLAY launcher recommends games and enables consumers to search for top titles optimised for Xperia PLAY on Android market.
There is also a range of PlayStation original games available at launch (in select markets initially). These are comprised of a pre-install of the PS One classic Crash Bandicoot and a further 5 PlayStation original games available to download via the PlayStation Pocket application in Xperia PLAY.
Â· Cool Boarders 2 â€“ Time to pick up that snowboard again and rip through the snow with 16 intense racetracks.
Â· Destruction Derby â€“ Original car carnage. Buckle yourself into a new car and destroy it but send your opponents to the junkyard first.
Â· Jumping Jack Flash – A first person platformer like no other. Leap around 6 colourful worlds in the cockpit of a robotic rabbit, hunting for the evil galactic property developer Baron Aloha.
Â· MediEvil â€“ Resurrected 100 years later you have returned to defeat the sorcerer Zarok. Perhaps the world’s least worthy hero, you set out to save the land once again–for the first time.
Â· Syphon Filter â€“ Become Gabe Logan: Guerrilla war expert. A man on a personal crusade to bring down an international terrorist ring and eliminate a deadly virus.
More games from Sony Computer Entertainment will be added to Xperia PLAY on a regular basis.
Dominic Neil-Dwyer, Head of Market Development at Sony Ericsson commented:
â€œItâ€™s great to get Xperia PLAY into consumersâ€™ hands at last. This is just the start and the future is exciting based on all the interest and support we have from the game industry. A steady stream of fresh innovative content will be coming to Xperia PLAY over the coming months.â€
Xperia PLAY will be available in the following markets starting from today and in the next two weeks: United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Spain, France, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Russia, India and Portugal.
As announced at Mobile World Congress Xperia PLAY will be in stores in the US market with Verizon Wireless this spring.
Games available within the first week of launch:
Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior from Digital Legends (pre-installed)
FIFA 2010 from EA Mobile (pre-installed)
Sims 3 from EA Mobile (pre-installed)
Star Battalion from Gameloft (pre-installed)
Tetris from EA mobile (pre-installed)
Asphalt 6 from Gameloft (free to download)
Dungeon Defenders: Second Wave from Trendy Entertainment
Galaxy on Fire 2 from Fishlabs
Assassins Creed from Gameloft
Need for Speed SHIFT from EA Mobile
Worms from EA Mobile
Nova 2 from Gameloft
Modern Combat Black Pegasus from Gameloft
Guns n Glory from Handygames
Reckless Racing from Polarbit
Real Football 2011from Gameloft
Gun Bros from Glu Mobile
Racer Luma from Arcade/Unity
Cordy from SilverTree Media
Aporkalypse from Handygames
Brothers in Arms Global Front from Gameloft
Guerrilla Bob from Angry Mob Games/Unity
Let’s Golf 2 from Gameloft
Zenonia 2 from Gamevil
Cyberlords from Handygames
Guitar Heroâ„¢ Warriors of Rock Mobile from Glu Mobile
Age of Zombies from Halfbrick Studios
Spectral Souls from HyperDevBox Japan
Splinter Cell Conviction from Gameloft
Air Attack from Art in Games/Unity
Armageddon Squadron from Polarbit
Uno from Gameloft
InfeCCt from Handygames
Spiderman total Mayhem from Gameloft
Millionaire City from Digital Chocolate
Avatar from Gameloft
Raging Thunder 2from Polarbit
Homerun Battle 3D from Com2us Games
Aftermath XHD from Jakyl
I Must Run from GameLion
Baseball Superstars 2011from Gamevil
Ground Effect Pro from Jakyl
ZeNonia from Gamevil
Super KO Boxing 2 from Glu Mobile
Farm Story from Team Lava
Wave Blazer from Polarbit
Soccer Superstars from Gamevil
Battle Bears from Skyvu
Tower Blocks New York from Digital Chocolate
Super Dynamite Fishing from Handygames
Iron Sight from Polarbit
Toonwarz from Polarbit
Restaurant Story from Team Lava
Escape from AMA
Raving Babies from AMA
Bakery Story from Team Lava
Denki Blocks! Deluxe from Jakyl
Rollercoaster Rush from Digital Chocolate
PlayStation original games:
Crash Bandicoot from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Cool Boarders 2 from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Destruction Derby from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Jumping Jack Flash from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
MediEvil from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Syphon Filter from Sony Computer Entertainment
For more information about Xperia PLAY visit www.sonyericsson.com/uk
There’s a few more pics on my Flickr site – just click here 🙂